Sunday, February 28, 2010

Myrah

Myrah was adopted from the Ukraine in January of 2007, right before she turned 4 years old. She is now 7 years old. She's a beautiful, smart, determined young lady to whom I have become very attached. She reportedly weighed only 1 pound, 8 ounces at birth and spent the first 7 months of her life in a hospital. I've been in the hospital.... and can't believe that a baby her size could live. Medical equipment is minimal. Care is as good as they can give, but very much out-of-date.

This girl solidified my decision to do what I can in Ukraine. She has several scars on her body, and when I asked her mother about them, her mother told me the reason she was told and proceeded to give me further information about orphans in Ukraine. When orphans have surgery (which most often they don't), they are not given any anesthesia. They are not given tylenol or anything for pain. To think about this little girl going through what she endured makes my heart ache in an unrelinquishing way. Myrah has quite a hold on me. I'm her speech therapist, but she's way more to me than a "client".

Look at that smile. It's infectious!

In this picture, she's using her sign for "drink" to let me know she wants juice, even though she can say juice. Sometimes signing's just easier I guess.

Getting ready for Botox. Beautiful Myrah!


Myrah loves bowling.


Her mother sent this picture to me on Christmas Day. I'm sure Myrah was telling Miss Carmen Merry Christmas.


Such a gorgeous girl.





In her motorized wheelchair.


Myrah and her mom, Kym.


This is speech therapy after PT in the pool.... Just a tad goofy. Exhausted and not able to stay up straight.


She's pondering a speech question, I'm sure.


So little in this one, but still the smile. It doesn't go away.


All decked out in her Razorback scrubs on Razorback day at the clinic.


I had the privilege of doing ST with Myrah in the hyperbaric oxygen therapy tank. It was quite an experience.... getting up very early to drive 30 to 40 minutes to get in the tank before work. But worth every minute of it. Myrah made great improvements in speech and many areas during this time.

I love Myrah. I'm so thankful that Kym went on the first therapy missions trip and found her daughter. God chose perfect parents for Myrah, and I'm incredibly thankful to be a part of her life.

3 comments:

Clay and Whitney said...

AW! Sweet Myrah. Just love her smiles.

Missy said...

That is SO sweet!! What a precious little girl!!

Cindy Watson said...

Okay...you made me cry! I just love her. I can't imagine what her life was like before she came home to AR with her PRECIOUS parents. I don't like to think what our life would be without her. I too am thankful for Kym and Kevin's selfLESSness so we can all benefit from knowing Myrah. She is so beautiful. I wish everyone could meet her. It would truly change their lives.