Monday, May 9, 2011

Passport Ridiculousness

So....  I got my passport with my new name in it today.  First of all, I'm going to complain that you have to pay the full renewal fee just for a name change due to marriage.  $110 is a RIDICULOUS amount just to change your name on your passport.  Secondly, and most importantly, upon opening the new passport, I found that I have all new visa pages.  All of my previous stamps are gone...  erased... as if they didn't exist.  The woman at the post office assured me that they would still be there when I got the new passport, that only the identifying information page would be changed. 

Now, being the rational human being that I am, I know that this is a very insignificant issue in the big realm of things.  There are much more important things in life to be upset about.  Those were just physical papers, but am I wrong to feel that they were a part of me???  That they were a part of what defines me?  Evidence of my travels for pleasure and for passion - those trips to Ukraine to work with children deprived of the concept of love.  Evidence of the craziness of life...  having to travel the opposite way around the globe from Ukraine because of the ash from the volcano that erupted in Iceland...  I'll never make another trip to Dubai or Australia.  

I'll call the passport office tomorrow, but I have a sinking feeling that those pages of my life are gone forever.  Believe me...  I know I'm being a little over-the-top, and I'll likely regret rambling on and on about it tomorrow.  But for tonight, I can't stop feeling like a piece of my life has been taken from me.  I'm so sad about it.

No comments: